CITIZENSHIP
This weekend some time Malin and I will have our photos taken for the citizenship application. We are applying at the same time. I received my permanent resident card back in 2003 but got the one 'without conditions' back in September of 2005. That was a good day. I had to have photos taken for that application. I went to Sears back then and I think I will go there again. I will finish my application this weekend so I can mail it in next week. For everyone out there who is wondering what this means I can tell you this: I will keep my Swedish citizenship but apply for an American citizenship too. Sweden allows dual citizenship which I am very happy about. I would never reject my Swedish-ness. The road to citizenship is long. You have to do things a specific way and apply based on different conditions. I am applying based on being a permanent resident for at least three years plus being married to an American citizen. Some people may think that the whole process is simple but that is not true. Fortunately I have always been treated nicely by the people at the INS office in Oklahoma City. Some time in the future we have to go there for an interview and a test. Hopefully next time I go there they will get my name right. They called me 'Marie Wiener' when they called me in...
This weekend some time Malin and I will have our photos taken for the citizenship application. We are applying at the same time. I received my permanent resident card back in 2003 but got the one 'without conditions' back in September of 2005. That was a good day. I had to have photos taken for that application. I went to Sears back then and I think I will go there again. I will finish my application this weekend so I can mail it in next week. For everyone out there who is wondering what this means I can tell you this: I will keep my Swedish citizenship but apply for an American citizenship too. Sweden allows dual citizenship which I am very happy about. I would never reject my Swedish-ness. The road to citizenship is long. You have to do things a specific way and apply based on different conditions. I am applying based on being a permanent resident for at least three years plus being married to an American citizen. Some people may think that the whole process is simple but that is not true. Fortunately I have always been treated nicely by the people at the INS office in Oklahoma City. Some time in the future we have to go there for an interview and a test. Hopefully next time I go there they will get my name right. They called me 'Marie Wiener' when they called me in...

3 Comments:
At 3:39 PM ,
Serena said...
That's all very interesting to me, as I need to look into getting citizenship myself (although I've lived in the states since I was 4). I hope there is somewhere closer than Milwaukee that I can get this taken care of, as that's a good 2 hours away and I want to get there when they opened in the morning.
At 9:16 AM ,
Marie Wiens said...
Serena,
There is a way now to make an appointment online. I did that one time. Very convenient. You can find the application (form) online and read 'Guidelines to Citizenship' online too. You will probably hear back from the INS and then make an appointment.
At 12:45 PM ,
Serena said...
Thanks for the great info. Marie!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home