SwedeThing

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! I live far away from some of you (I miss you!) and it can be difficult to stay in touch at times. This blog is my attempt to keep you up-to-date with my life here in Oklahoma.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

CLAES
Here is a little info on the name Claes! Klas is the most common spelling of the name but Claes is almost as common. Clas and Klaes are also used. Klas is a German version of Nikolaus and has been used since the 14th century. Back then the spelling was Claus. Klas has been in the Swedish almanack since the 18th century. Nikolaus is a Greek name made up of two names: Niko- (Greek Nike: victory) and -laos (Laos: people). OK! I have to admit... I studied stuff like this back in high school (the origins of words). It has actually been very helpful over the years since so many words originated in Greek and Latin. It was great learning about prefixes and suffixes and word stems! By combining these, I have been able to figure out what many words actually mean in English (without actually knowing it to begin with)!
P.S. I may classify as a nerd.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Serena said...

    I think that's great and very smart of you to be interested in the origin of words, especially if it helps you decipher other languages! Brenna just finished her 2nd year of Latin in school and it's amazing what I've leanred when I've helped her with homework or studying for tests that it is the root of all languages. I'm not saying I retained all this information, but it is very interesting! : )

     
  • At 9:04 PM , Blogger Marie Wiens said...

    Cool! It is interesting!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home