ANIMALS BY OUR HOUSE
Yesterday we saw a baby rabbit in our flower bed! It was so small and cute. Carson saw it first and was so excited. It was eating some grass (including some weeds... so thank you!) and ate kind of quickly. It was the cutest thing. I have seen big rabbits before but not this small. It is fun to have animals by the house. We have seen more birds this year. After we moved in I thought it was kind of sad that I never saw or heard any birds. But with time (especially this year) birds have moved in. They often sit up on the roof. We have one nest in our pear tree in the back yard plus one nest by our bay window. They look so very cute.
Yesterday we saw a baby rabbit in our flower bed! It was so small and cute. Carson saw it first and was so excited. It was eating some grass (including some weeds... so thank you!) and ate kind of quickly. It was the cutest thing. I have seen big rabbits before but not this small. It is fun to have animals by the house. We have seen more birds this year. After we moved in I thought it was kind of sad that I never saw or heard any birds. But with time (especially this year) birds have moved in. They often sit up on the roof. We have one nest in our pear tree in the back yard plus one nest by our bay window. They look so very cute.

3 Comments:
At 4:28 PM ,
Serena said...
I'll ship you all the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks you can handle!! : ) There's a place we go by all the time not too far from our house that has a little woods by the road and twice in the last couple of weeks a doe has run across the road into the woods right in front of my van close enough that I had to step on the brakes to slow down! I love the baby bunnies too, but they're kind of pesky when they eat my plants so we have to put fences around everything. We had a whole nest of them in our back yard and they were hopping all over the place! We get a lot of really pretty little birds by our front porch window and we keep a little feeder and a suet cake out there with a birdbath for them. I especially love when the tiny bright yellow finches come to the feeder and the nuthatches too. They're so cute! We have a little woodpecker that visits and sometimes a cardinal.
At 9:41 PM ,
Marie Wiens said...
What you are describing sounds a lot like home. I have a feeling that Wisconsin is a bit like home. We learned the other day that the cute baby bunny ate the leaves off some of the plants in our veggie garden (the brussels sprouts). I remember back home not too long ago when dad kept chasing the moose away from his apple trees. It looked hilarious but I can only imagine the frustration. What is a suet cake?
At 8:10 PM ,
Serena said...
I'm sure there are parts of Wisconsin (more places up north probably) that might be a little like Sweden. I can just hear the longing in your words about how much you miss Sweden! To answer your suet cake question -- it is basically lard formed into a square "cake" with bird seed and/or cracked corn or berries mixed into it. You put it in a little wire mesh basket that clips closed and hang it from a tree or any other place you can find that it will hang from and the birds land on it and eat it until it's all gone (and sometimes the bratty squirrels get at it too even though it's not meant to be their treat!!). We put one out all year long and I know the birds especially appreciate it in the winter when food is scarce. You can usually find it in any dept. store in the section where they sell bird seed and bird feeders.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home