SwedeThing

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! I live far away from some of you (I miss you!) and it can be difficult to stay in touch at times. This blog is my attempt to keep you up-to-date with my life here in Oklahoma.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

NORWAY'S BIG DAY
Today is already Thursday. That means May 17. There is something very special about this day. Today is the National Day of Norway and our grandpa is very proud. He was born in Norway but moved to Sweden after meeting our grandmother (in Oslo). She moved there to work as a waitress at a cafe on Carl Johan (the avenue leading up to the castle). Grandpa left his native Norway to live in Sweden and every year on this very day there is a Norwegian flag outside on the porch. The National Day of Norway originally focused on the signing of the Norwegian Constitution in Eidsvoll, May 17, 1814. Since 1905 (when the Union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved) the focus has also been on the royal family. The people of Norway celebrate BIG today and I am very happy for them. They seem so happy. I do not think that the people of sweden will ever be able to celebrate Norwegian-style.
A view of Oslo.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM , Blogger Serena said...

    I was very impressed by your knowledge of Norweigan and Swedish history and was really interested in reading about another of the traditions. I should probably brush up a bit on my own country (Canada), as I don't think I know nearly as much about it as you do about yours! : ) I think it's nice that your grandfather (as well as you) takes such pride in his heritage.

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger Marie Wiens said...

    Oh, I wish I knew more than I actually do. Sometimes my husband seems to know more about Swedish history than I do. I had no idea that you are from Canada. How cool! We grew up with Canadian TV shows (Degrassi, Northwood etc.)

     
  • At 11:07 PM , Blogger Serena said...

    I was born in Quebec, but moved to Queens, NY when I was 4 until we moved to Wisconsin when I was 16. I lived in Calgary, Alberta (in Canada) with my dad for about a year after I graduated from high school and it's very beautiful there. All of my dad's family live there, but I haven't been back for a visit in about 9 years or so.

    I really like hearing about yours and Malin's stories and things about Sweden and I think it's awesome that you can both speak two languages. : ) I really hope I can get to OK sometime to visit Jacque and also meet you both.

     
  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger Marie Wiens said...

    That would be so fun! I remember that Calgary had the Olympic Games when I was about ten. Malin and I were both home sick for two weeks and spent our days watching the competitions. The winter olympics have always been very dear to me. Probably since I am Swedish and have always loved snow. And I love watching skiing on TV. Did you like living in New York? I would love to go there again one day.

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Blogger Serena said...

    I like the cooler/colder weather as well, but I'm always ready for spring by the time the end of winter rolls around. I really hate hot humid weather.

    I did like living in NY. We had a pretty nice neighborhood for the most part, especially living in a bigger city and there were lots of fun museums, places to visit and activities going on all the time. Our old neighborhood is nothing like it used to be from what I read on a website devoted to my elementary school, but I have a lot of wonderful childhood memories. : ) I don't think I'd want to live there now unless I could be out in the suburbs somewhere though!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home