SwedeThing

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! I live far away from some of you (I miss you!) and it can be difficult to stay in touch at times. This blog is my attempt to keep you up-to-date with my life here in Oklahoma.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I LOVE THIS
I went to http://www.sweden.se/ just recently and found a very interesting article about Sweden and gender pedagogy (one of 'my' fields at the university back home). I think this is great:

A blue cup for her and a pink cup for him — does that sound weird? Not for Swedish children. Gender pedagogy at pre-school level puts everyone on an equal footing. Pink, green, yellow or blue? Any color will do when no attention is paid to gender.


Gender pedagogy is increasingly common in Swedish pre-schools. The aim is for children to have the same opportunities in life, regardless of whether they are male or female. How? By working against gender stereotypes and assigned roles. In 1998, Swedish pre-schools got their first curriculum. One of the goals is to work for equality between the sexes by using a pedagogy that allows each child to develop into a unique individual. The basic idea is to free children from the expectations and demands society has traditionally put on girls and boys.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:17 AM , Blogger Victoria and Mark said...

    I like this to some extent, unless it is taken to extremes or over done the 'other way.'

    For one, it is a proven fact that girls are almost always praised for their LOOKS (oh, how cute) and boys for their skills and accomplishments (what a good boy).

    I make a conscious effort to avoid this trap, and do both, because a girl who is exclusively praised for her loks will have her entire self esteem wrapped up in it, and are more likely to plunge into depression if they gain weight or something like it.

    On the other hand I want all my kids to know that I think they are beautiful, especially the girls, so that when some good-for-nothing horny teenage boy tries to woo my girls into the sack with flattery, they will not be swept off their feet because they have heard it before and already know they are cute. Am I making sense, here?

    Lastly, I read of a lady who tried to do the gender thing the OTHER WAY, by giving her girl only boy-toys and other netural toys. After two years of struggling with this, she finally gave in when her toddler girl wrapped her play truck in a blanket and rocked it to sleep...

    Some things ARE gender based and should not be out rooted, because that is how male and female compliment eachother and make us happy.

    My two cents anyway! hugs!

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Of course! That is a given! I would never tell my son 'go and play with a doll'! But if someone gave him a pink cup to drink out of I would not freak out! Some people would!

     
  • At 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    'Lagom' is always best. You should never force a behavior. Boys and girls are different. But boys need to know it is OK to be sweet and gentle. And girls need to know it is OK to be 'tough' and not simply 'pretty'.

     
  • At 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lilly is pretty AND a lesbian. What does that mean?

     
  • At 2:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's because I brushed her hair, put lipstick on her, threw her in a dress and then made her go play army. ;)

     
  • At 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    J, that is too deep for me :). She sure is pretty though.

     
  • At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lilly is very pretty. She is perfect the way she is. I am not putting a label on anyone. I do not like labels.

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Blogger Serena said...

    Well, I don't think it makes any difference what color plates and cups a child uses, because whatever they're going to be, they're going to be -- or "Que sera, sera" to quote Doris Day! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home